How does pop affect my teeth?

Posted on in Educational, Food & Health, News

Does drinking pop affect your teeth?Drinking pop can cause problems for your dental health. The sugar in pop combines with bacteria in your mouth to create an acid that attacks your teeth. Each acid attack lasts about 20 minutes and begins again with every sip, eroding tooth enamel. This can lead to cavities.

Even diet pop can be damaging because it is acidic and has the same negative effects on your teeth. An additional concern for adults with a receding gum line is that the acid can cause more damage to exposed roots of teeth.

If you can’t cut pop out of your diet altogether, try limiting the amount you drink. You can also rinse your mouth with water after drinking pop to wash the acid and sugar away. In addition, be sure to brush and floss daily and get regular professional cleanings.